Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Romance Writer Weekly Blog Chat for December 16, 2014



Do you like to read romance novels? Wouldn’t you like to know more about your favorite authors? Well, you came to the right place! Join the writers of Romance Weekly as we go behind the scenes of our books and tell all…… About our writing of course! Every Tuesday we’ll all answer the same questions and after you’ve enjoyed the blog on this site, we’ll direct you to another. So come back often for a thrilling ride. Tell your friends and feel free to ask us questions in the comment box.

Hello! If you've joined me after visiting the blog of the lovely
J.J. Devine,  http://definingjjdevine.weebly.com/ramblings-of-a-writer, then welcome.  If you've found me directly via the web, then please make sure to check out Elizabeth's blogsite.

This week's blog chat idea comes from the fabulous Carrie Elks. We are blogging about our favorite Christmas stories as told through books, movies, or true-life romances.

My choice is movies. I don't just love holiday movies. I really, REALLY love holiday movies. I have quite a few favorites that I'd like to share with you. Maybe they will become favorites of yours as well.

Here is a list of those special movies, and my reasons for their selection.
  
  1. Holiday Inn – Starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. What a great musical love story! A traditional love guadrangle between Bing, Fred and their two leading ladies. The songs are terrific, the dancing inspired (the Firecracker tap routine by Fred is amazing), and the storyline is sweet, simple and has a wonderful HEA finish.
  2. White Christmas – Another wonderful classic starring Bing, who is paired in this terrific film with Danny Kaye. Danny is a super dancer, and when he partners with the fantastic Vera-Ellen, the dance scenes are typical glorious Hollywood magic. The love story is straight forward, with Bing pursuing the hard-to-get Rosemary Clooney who is looking for a knight in shining armor, but becomes disillusioned with Bing. The situation is reversed with the duo of Danny and Vera-Ellen, where Vera pursues the shy Danny Kaye, until he finally cries uncle and succumbs to her charms. Again, a terrific HEA ending for both couples that makes true love look magical.
  3. A Christmas Carol – Not a traditional hero/heroine love story, but more of a man learning to love those around him. I adore the spirits from the Past, Present and Future as they guide Mr. Scrooge in his journey of self-discovery. The ending always satisfies as Scrooge throws away his “scroogey” ways, and welcomes the love that is his to receive and gives that love back ten times over.
  4. Miracle on 34th Street – What can I say about this movie starring Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle, and Maureen O’Hara as the heroine who no longer believes in fairy tale endings. With the help of her adorable on-screen daughter Natalie Wood, and the handsome neighbor, John Payne AKA the hero, Maureen discovers there really is magic in Christmas and that Kris might just be the real-deal Santa Claus he claims to be, with a good dose of cupid thrown in to the mix. It's a happily ever after for everyone, as the Hero and Heroine find true love, and Kris Kringle confirms that the world still believes in Santa Claus.
  5. Love Actually – OK, so this one takes us out of the past and thrusts us into a more contemporary timeframe. However, there is something beautiful about eight unique holiday love stories portrayed in this film. We follow the different plot lines of young love, love found (in several quirky places), love lost (both in death and betrayal), love that’s reborn, love between friends, and the good old-fashioned love at first sight. A terrific film for the holidays with lots of laughter, and a definite HEA when the Hero, Hugh Grant realizes that he's found the love of his life in Natalie (played by Martine McCutcheon).
  6. Babes in Toyland – What can I say. If you haven’t seen the Laurel and Hardy version of this movie, filmed in 1934, you’re missing some real Christmas magic. Is it corny? Yes! Is it a bit unbelievable? Of course! But if you want a simple love story with a good dose of silliness, this movie is fantastic. And the best part? The Hero(s) are the Wooden Soldiers who save Toyland from an invasion by the Bogeymen! What could be better?
  
I hope that I have provided you with some romantic options for your holiday viewing pleasure, and that you will make one of these fun and fabulous holiday movies a favorite of your own.
 
Now, please hop on over to the wonderful Gemma Brocato at her blogsite http://www.gemmabrocato.com/blog. I'm sure that Gemma has something special to share with you.
 
Thank you for stopping by.
 
Warmly,
Mikki Cober
 

  
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Mem'ries. When I first moved into my first apartment - I didn't have cable, and it was around Christmas time. I watched White Christmas so many times I think I could have quoted the whole thing at one point. One of my ultimate favorites. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.... love that movie! One of the best. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love your list. I'd forgotten about Babes In Toyland. I like the more contemporary version with Drew Barrymore, Keanu Reeves and Richard Mulgrew. And in White Christmas, I loved the dance sequences. But I was always so struck by how tiny Vera Allen's waist was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the 1934 Babes in Toyland is in many ways so bad! Lots of overacting, and silliness, but I have a soft spot for Laurel and Hardy.
      I totally agree on Vera-Allen's waist! Every time I watch that movie I think how skinny she was and what a crazy tiny waist she had.
      Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. Great list, Mikki! Love your taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Carolyn - it was fun to think about some of the movies I love at this time of year. There were others... I probably could have written more.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete