Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Chat for September 22, 2014





Do you like to read romance novels? Wouldn’t you like to know more about your favorite authors? Well, you came to the right place! Join the writers of Romance Weekly as we go behind the scenes of our books and tell all…… About our writing of course! Every Tuesday we’ll all answer the same questions and after you’ve enjoyed the blog on this site, we’ll direct you to another. So come back often for a thrilling ride. Tell your friends and feel free to ask us questions in the comment box.


Hello again! So glad you stopped by after visiting the talented Leslie Hachtel at her blog website  http://lesliehachtelwriter.wordpress.com    

This week, we are answering three questions from the awesome JJ Devine.  These three questions are focused on our how we handle a storyline shift, if we prefer writing in one season over another, and how publishers are chosen. My three answers are listed below, so let's get started.

 
Question 1. You’re moving right along with a storyline and suddenly it takes an unexpected twist. Do you go with the flow and follow where the twist leads you? Or, do you conform your story to your way?

Interesting question. I am both a plotter and a pantser, so I think the term for me is Plantser. Because of this, I start out with a plot outlined. I know where the hero and heroine are supposed to go and what’s supposed to happen. But! Suddenly, one of them takes a serious left turn and heads off in a totally new and unexpected direction. When that happens – and I love it when it does – I let my characters speak through me. I become their conduit and I let them tell me what they need me to write. I find it fascinating when my characters know the story better than I do, and find a way of telling it that I never planned, plotted and would never have expected.

 
Question 2. What time of year is your best time for writing? Winter, summer, fall, or spring? 

I don’t have a seasonal favorite, but if I did, I’d have to say summer. Since I now live in Florida – and it is summer pretty much 24 X 7 – summer is when I do my writing. I still have to force myself to sit down and write. It’s hard not to let Twitter, Facebook, email or an on-line game that I am very addicted to distract me (and no, I won’t reveal the name. I’m too embarrassed).

 
Question 3. When looking for a publisher do you chose a traditional press, indie route, or one that does both, eBook and print?

I have submitted my two completed manuscripts to publishers/editors that do both print and eBook. Right now, I’m eager to find that match and to have a publisher/editor say to me, “Yes! We want to publish your book. Here’s a contract!” Maybe after I have a few books out the door, I will be more selective, but right now, I am drawn to anyone who can help me reach my publication goal.
 
Well, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my responses. Please jump over to our next wonderful author, Eden Ashe http://www.edenashe.com  and see what Eden's answers are to these three questions. 
 
See you next time!
Warmly,
Mikki Cober
 

20 comments:

  1. Plantser...I love that term. When I grow up (read: get organized) I want to be a plantser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Too funny - we're all Plantsers at heart!

      Delete
  2. I've tried being a plotter, but I find flying by the seat of my pants is easier. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plantser - good one. I'm a plantser too - normally, it's my behind planted in the chair listening to my characters telling me what to put on the page. Those pushy so-and-so's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean... they can be extremely belligerent when demanding that their story be told.

      Delete
  4. We're keeping fingers crossed for you Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that new word! I'm in!
    And hail to the Floridians! I'm there too Mikki and same here! LOL Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Yah Florida. Thanks for the comments.

      Delete
  6. I think 'plantser' is a great term for it! :D Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree, there is nothing like starting out in the publishing world with that contract. I would not want anyone to miss out on that thrill you get when you open your inbox to find a contract and a big YES!!! Good luck to you and I do hope that thrill comes to you very soon!!! Loved your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My fingers are crossed. Two of my novels are out there for review by two different editors. No news yet, but I'll keep trying!

      Delete