Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Chat for September 9, 2014





Do you like to read romance novels? Wouldn’t you like to know more about your favorite authors? Well, you came to the right place! Join the writers of Romance Weekly as we go behind the scenes of our books and tell all…… About our writing of course! Every Tuesday we’ll all answer the same questions and after you’ve enjoyed the blog on this site, we’ll direct you to another. So come back often for a thrilling ride. Tell your friends and feel free to ask us questions in the comment box.


Welcome to this week’s Blog hop. So glad you stopped by after visiting with Dani Jace at her blog  http://www.danijace.com. I’m sure Dani’s answers to this weeks questions were terrific.

This week, we have three questions centered on our favorite aspects of writing and choice of settings. Ready? Here we go with my answers.


1. What’s your favorite aspect of novel writing? Dialogue? Setting? Conflict? Narration? Explain.

Conflict is fun, especially since my novels always have murder and some element of mystery. Putting a twist into the scene as part of the conflicts adds a dimension to the plotline. When I plot out the story, I like to use conflict, both in dialogue between characters and setting/scene to enhance the story and keep the reader guessing. 

2. How do you choose the setting for your plot? Are they always similar settings or does it vary? (i.e., small town, big city, castle, etc.)

I like to choose areas that I have visited in the past. My husband and I love to travel, and it’s appealing to bring a sense of real location into my plots.  It’s wonderful when a reader can “see” the setting in their minds as they read. To me, it’s like watching a movie in my head, and some of the best novels I’ve read, have immersed me into the setting. So far, for the three books (two completed and one WIP) that I’m working on, all are set in different parts of the United States. For example, coastal Alabama, Sarasota and Juneau Alaska. I like variety!

3. I’m a big six-word memoir fan. (Hemingway even wrote one.) Describe your writing day using just six words.

I would describe my writing day with the following six-word phrase, “A release of emotions trapped inside.”
 

Well, that’s it for me. I hope you enjoyed your visit today, and I encourage you to jump over to Raine Balkera’s blog at  http://rainswritingrealm.wordpress.com     and see what Raine has to say about our three questions.

Come visit me again!

Warmly,
Mikki Cober

5 comments:

  1. I really love your six words too! Very evocative, Mikki. And I agree that conflict is the heart of a good story. It's one aspect my writing that I'm always trying to improve. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, a great 6-word memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved your six word memoir!!! Great answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool about the 6 words! Now that's pithy. It takes a special touch to write good conflict-- WTG.

    ReplyDelete