Monday, August 18, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Chat for August 19, 2014

 

Do you like to read romance novels? Wouldn’t you like to know more about your favorite authors? Well, you came to the right place! Join the writers of Romance Weekly as we go behind the scenes of our books and tell all…… About our writing of course! Every Tuesday we’ll all answer the same questions and after you’ve enjoyed the blog on this site, we’ll direct you to another. So come back often for a thrilling ride. Tell your friends and feel free to ask us questions in the comment box.


Hello, and welcome to this weeks Blog Chat. I'm glad that you have a few minutes to stop by after visiting with Victoria Barbour on her website  http://victoriabarbour.com/blog  I'm sure what she had to write was amazing.

This weeks challenge was for everyone to create a piece of "flash fiction", not more than 150 words, using the words scarf, chocolate and candle. I decided to dig a little deeper into one of my secondary characters from my latest completed manuscript, "Trying for Par". Adara is a love interest of my hero Donovan, but she breaks his heart, and he is determined never to fall in love again... until he meets our heroine, Tiffany Jones. But, that's enough preamble.

Here is my 150 word flash fiction - I hope that you enjoy it.

--------------------------------------
Adara wound the scarf around her head, and stepped out into a London fog that threatened to undo all of Philippe’s hard work. She waved farewell to her favorite hairdresser as he stood on the stoop, blowing a kiss. She laughed, and pulled her jacket collar tighter against the damp.
The fragrance of warm, melted chocolate sliced through the misty air, and she paused. Where was it coming from? Of course, that cute little pastry shop on the corner. Careful not to spear her new stiletto heels between the cobblestones, Adara picked her way across the street to admire the display of pastries. A glance toward the darkening sky confirmed that she had no time to stop and savor one of the éclairs.
As she hurried along the narrow alley, the gaslights planted along the street glittered like tiny candles, pricking the early evening gloom. She was now officially late.
--------------------------------------

Again, thanks for stopping by. Please head on over to Kim Handysides website. I'm sure whatever she has to share will be fantastic.   http://kimhandysides.com

Warmly,
Mikki Cober

17 comments:

  1. Great little story Mikki! Love things that leave you wondering what's next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's what I was hoping people would think..

      Delete
  2. I can just hear her heals clicking on the cobblestones. Nice imagery...and now I want an éclair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Love those chocolate eclairs!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful picture you drew there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I love to try and put the reader in the scene.

      Delete
  4. Nice- I was there, on the street with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love to be in the moment with a character.

      Delete
  5. Can totally see that playing out Mikki - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your imagery!!! Fantastic flash fiction!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment - I had fun writing this.

      Delete
  7. I think every sense got involved with this one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice piece Mikki, and I like your idea of using it to flesh out a secondary character. I may try that too. ;)

    ReplyDelete